Saturday, July 4, 2015

More Halloween Houses

I know this can get kind of tiresome, but I continue to have lots of fun making my little halloween houses. I am planning on stopping for a few weeks so I can catch up on some other stuff. I've got 18 done and I hope to have 50 by October 1st. We'll see.

First is the Flying Witch House with the witch actually flying. I had to buy a retired Martha Stewart punch to do the flying witch. I have to put a little glitter on this house and around the base where the hot glue shows and then glue the house to the base. I am always so hesitant to glue the house to the base because I think I may come up something new. I also need to "decorate" the house a little more with some pumpkins, etc on the outside.



The next house I call "Clock House on a Frosty Morn". It's my first time including a clock on one of my houses. It will not be the last. This clock is courtesy of Paul Race's Cardboard Christmas website  on the page with printed resources. The frosty morn part comes from the fact that I think the glitter on the fence looks like frost.


I'm not sure I like the glitter on the fence because I think it detracts from some of the detail of the fence. But the fence was too black compared to the house so I felt like I had to do something. The other design flaw with this house is that the base is too small for the house and the house is obscured by the fence. Again, it doesn't ruin the house, it's still pretty cool. I am getting better and better at details like getting the windows right, centering the roofs, stuff like that.

Ok, now my brother calls this house "the Artsy Fartsy House" because it is more abstract, less literal for Halloween. I had some keyhole punches that I wanted to use somewhere so I decided to make the doors and windows keyholes. Then I needed to make them stand out somehow, so I put locks and keys around the windows and doors. I had a lot of fun making and aging the locks and keys. I mostly used metallic tape that is used to seal ducts (not duck tape, but real true metallic duct tape). Then to give the keys and locks more dimension, I glued several layers of cardboard together followed by the distressing. Some of the distressing was inspired by my friend Lynn's quilts which have a lot of stippling in the quilting. Ok, here goes. And I call the house "Steampunk Lock and Key House" not the artsy fartsy house.


The keyhole door does swing open. Several of the keys jingle and rotate. The metallic roof was embossed with a brick embossing folder by Tim Holtz of Sizzix then distressed with black acrylic paint and some burnt umber paint smeared on with my finger. The key and lock dies and punches are from everywhere - Sizzix, Spellbinders, EK Success, etc. Most of them are made up of about 4 layers of cardboard. I am going to put a clear acrylic coating on the scrapbook paper at least to make it a little more durable. I don't intend to do any glitter on this house. I also don't think I am going to put any specific halloween elements on the house. I think it has enough going on.

I didn't take a photo of the back but I put a distressed and stippled metallic oval tag there that swings open so you can insert a LED tea light easily. It looks really cool too.

So that's where I am today. 32 more houses to go. And you will be relieved to know that they will not all be posted on my little blog. One other point I would like to make is that these little cardboard houses are all made up of scrap cardboard. Yes, I have used lots of other supplies to make them, but basically they are scrap cardboard so there is some recycling going on in this process.

1 comment:

  1. Great work on the insulation!

    The houses are really cute! I like the glittery fence and the shingles on the Flying Witch house are really cool!

    ReplyDelete