Monday, July 13, 2015

When it's hot like this, you need to stay inside and CRAFT.

This is my excuse for my continuing obsession with making my Halloween houses - it's too hot to do anything on the real house so we work on pretend houses.

Here is the latest house called the Black Hat Inn - still in progress.


I am going to put the round base on some cardboard and then paper mache around it like it's a tree stump with roots. The hat comes off the base so you can insert an LED tea light to light the triangular dormer windows. 

I posted this idea on the Halloween section of the Cardboard Christmas forums  and one of the very kind members of the forum suggested that I make some flying witches for the hat. I've made a rough prototype that won't fit on this house, but it's kind of cool though still a work in progress. 


It's an automata - a simple machine that makes the design move. There are 2 cams in the base that rotate the stick in the middle. It's pretty rough but fun. I have to do more work on it before I incorporate it into the house. 

I'll try to post a video that shows it in action.  

Not quite working yet.

video

This one is much better. I had to secure the center dowel in a straw so it wouldn't fall out of place and crash like it did in the above video.

video

What do you think? I think it's kind of fun.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is very cool! I like the one you use your hand to crank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used my hand on the first one also, it just didn't work. Really for a simple machine, it took me awhile to figure it out. Now I've got it. I think it would make a fun carousel.

    Thank you for commenting and reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete