Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Progress on the House

Not much specific progress - meaning we haven't started on the foundation or anything, but some stuff is happening.

We have to figure out some tax issues on the mobile home at John's property.  I'm still having trouble figuring out what I need to do to solve this problem, but we cannot move the trailer until we make it legal for demolition or get someone take it off our hands. Legal for demolition - funny concept, huh?

We got our plans for the house from Shelter Kit last week. It is very exciting to see the drawings of the house. I gave a copy to John and to Randy, the contractor. I made some extra copies for me and Carlton. 

Here is the street side view of the house.
After seeing the house from this view, we will probably add a shed dormer on the front side to provide more visual interest and to improve the light upstairs. We will also probably add 1-2 more windows on this side of the house in the enclosed porch called the "Cat Porch". This area will be a conditioned space which will be as "catproof" as we can make it. "Catproof" means impervious to all the aggravating things that cats do which is clearly impossible. Probably should be renamed "Cat-Resistant".
The other thing I did was to post a question about my proposed wall assembly on my favorite website, Green Building Advisor and asked for advice about the effectiveness of the assembly in terms of R-value and humidity control. I got pretty good positive feedback. I was worried that perhaps my relatively vapor open assembly would allow humidity to be transmitted INTO the house during the humid months of the summer. And it may, but it's still going to be much better than any house I've ever seen in terms of control of heat and vapor through the walls. I posted a drawing on the design of the wall assembly in February.

Tomorrow is running around to the DMV (for help with getting a permit to be rid of the trailer) and to the Greenville County Tax office (for help with getting a permit to be rid of the trailer). Hope to actually make progress tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment