Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Two Days Later



The photo I posted on Monday, January 27th - 2 days ago was taken when the temperature was in the 60s.

Here is today's photo with the temperature in the mid-20s.


We didn't get a lot of snow, but it happened in the middle of the day when the temperatures were in the 20s and everything froze on the road as people were driving on it. The snow was totally packed down into a layer of ice that was challenging to drive on. Driving home from work around 7:30 pm was fine until I got about 3 miles to my house, then the traffic on the main highway was at a standstill. I drove around a back way where the roads were fine. Until ... I got about 2-3 miles to my house on another road and it was a dome of ice. Cars were sliding all over the road. I witnessed 1 wreck and 2 cars sliding off the road. I decided to park at a little vegetable stand and walk most of the way home then have my family pick me up. As we went on a overpass we could see the main highway near my house and it was bumper to bumper traffic stopped on the highway.

Today driving was fine. We had enough sun to melt most of the ice. Shady areas will continue to be a problem for a day or two. I don't think many people lost power because ice on the trees was not a problem.

I checked the temperature in John's house - it was 40 degrees with no heat source on and outdoor temps ranging from the teens last night to 20s in the daytime. I am very happy with the thermal performance of the house.

1 comment:

  1. Winter in the south! Crazy! I'm glad we aren't starting the AT this year! It could be worse than last year!

    ReplyDelete