Saturday, January 28, 2012

Vacation


My family generally goes on vacation together once a year - skiing in Big Sky Montana. We usually fly to Salt Lake City where we meet my sister and her husband, then drive to West Yellowstone and then Big Sky the next day.

We only had 1 day at Yellowstone so we didn't have time to do a tour in the park itself, instead we did touristy things in the town. We visited the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center and the Imax theater. 

I've never seen a live grizzly before. They were incredible. Here are a few photos of the bears and the wolves.
This is Sam, an Alaskan grizzly who is about 9 feet tall. He is the tallest at the Grizzly Center.
This is the Alpha female for one of the wolf packs. She is showing dominance over another wolf.  The wolves were very beautiful and bigger than we thought. The males weigh about 100 pounds and the females about 80 pounds. 
That was day 2 of vacation (day 1 was a total travel day). Today was the first skiing day at Big Sky.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the Grizzly Discovery Center incredible? I just loved to watch the bears feeding. I ope you are having a grand time! Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were here as well. It's really great weather. 2" snow yesterday, 1" today.

    ReplyDelete