Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sealing the edge of the foam on roof

To add more effective insulation on the roof and to eliminate thermal bridging we have add 2 layers of 1.5 inches of polyisocyanurate foam insulation. The first layer was applied as a continuous layer on top the plywood and the felt. Then the second layer was installed between 2 x 4 nailers with no overlap of seams below. I'll get Carlton to take some pictures tomorrow. 
This photo is from a commercial construction site but it demonstrates that the seams between the polyiso are staggered so you don't have a continuous seam where they line up and leak air, heat, and moisture. (http://continuingeducation.construction.com/article_print.php?L=140&C=442 accessed on 8-25-13) 

I am trying to figure out how to seal these edges of foam on the roof. I meant for the Carlton, Chris, and Myron crew to do that as they went along, but I did not specifically tell them to do that. 






I have posted a question on Green Building Advisor for help with this matter.

2 comments:

  1. The information you shared through your post is functional. I admire your work. Wish you all the luck for all your blogging efforts. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I do hope this helps someone else in their efforts at making an energy efficient house.

    ReplyDelete