Thursday, August 22, 2013

Who needs a blower door test?

Who needs a blower door test when you are in the middle of a Southeastern US monsoon season? I am pretty sure we are getting an inch a day of rain in the month of August. The ground makes a squishing sucking sound with you walk on it. It's pretty amazing.

It is also challenging trying to build an air tight house under these circumstances. I certainly don't need to do a blower door test to find the air leaks when I have puddles of water everywhere.

Corner detail. The guys are going to patch that when they install the 2 layers of polyiso on the roof.


Second floor dormer - major leak in on the right of photo.
These seems to be where the leak is coming from, but I thought I had closed it up by using Prosoco Joint and Seam sealer. Apparently not.

Another view of the leaky area. I think I didn't tool the seam sealer very well and it didn't really block the water. The house wrap has not been installed yet, but I want these problems fixed BEFORE the housewrap goes on. 

Leak on second floor gable end

I thought the leak was from the junction between the porch and the gable wall, but my flashing did not completely solve the problem. I have reinforced the roll flashing and the tape on the sheathing. 

Tonight's photo. First floor leaky area below the same gable end as above. It is driving me crazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment